Pages

Tuesday 2 April 2013

Happy Easter!

Hi everyone J sorry I haven’t done a blog in a while, it’s been pretty manic (as usual), however it’s now the Easter holidays! Woo! I think we all deserve to have a bit of break don’t you think?!

As you all know I work for the Research Centre in the Psychology department, so I’ll start by telling you about my mentoring work I did last week for the English exchange (the French students came to England). It was for three days, might I mention long days and I think the second day we were working for 10 hours straight! The first day was meeting up with the French kids and teachers at midday at the University’s Medway Campus in Chatham, Kent. We did a couple of ice breakers to get back into the swing of things and so the students interact with each other. We also played sports (but in the freezing cold!), the kids moaned a bit but once they were out they had a good time! We had lunch and dinner on campus in the canteen, the food was actually really good and considering we were moving about all day doing activities we were all pretty hungry! We got home about 8pm on the Monday, but knowing we mentors and researchers had to be on the coach at Avery Hill campus at 8am in the morning, I got home and went straight to bed! (Wild student I know)

So we were all on the coach at 8am, freezing cold, as the weather refuses to enter the spring season. We picked up the mentors from Medway campus and then drove to Faversham in Kent. We met the English and French students there to go on a history related activity; looking at gun powder works. We did this for a couple of hours and then went onto Canterbury, which was lovely! We went off into smaller groups; however I say small, my group consisted of 17 students! Eeek! We ended up in smaller groups though as you can just imagine that they all wanted to see completely different things and go into different shops! We had lunch and looked around the shops for a while, the time zoomed by and by the time we looked at the time, it was time to go! We then went bowling in Whitstable; it’s lovely there, very picturesque. The bowling was near the harbour, but we didn’t really get to see much of Whitstable as it was so cold and the students just wanted to play, not to mention us mentors! :P It was really good there, I think the bowling was the best part of the trip for the students, as they were all interacting with each other, which was the whole point of the widening participation project!

The next day was more of a relaxed activity; the French students came to the English students’ school in the Isle of Sheppey. It was a good day, however I think the French students were so tired by this point they just wanted to go home! They left around 1pm, and so the English students went back to lessons and the rest of us went back home. Overall, it was a really good experience, and I've come to realise that I like working with that age group. I've been considering for a while now about becoming an ‘A’ level teacher, teaching Psychology and Sociology. I think it would be a great job, however I do still like the idea of working in psychological research so we shall see!

Other than that, I’ve been getting on with my dissertation. I need to amend my analysis, write up my conclusion and a small introduction and then… I’m done! Just revision after that, which I know sounds geeky but I don’t mind, as you can take revision with you wherever and I can write notes down, and it’s not like an essay where you need to check over it and amend it. I have four weeks to make my dissertation perfect so hopefully I get a good grade!

Over the Easter weekend I went back to Essex to see my family and home friends, it was very chilled which I needed! And of course, like we’re supposed to, I ate so much chocolate that it should be illegal.
Oh and last night, Monday 1st, me and my friends got together and watched the first episode of the new Game of Thrones season! It was amazing, as always, I literally cannot get enough of that show! If you haven’t watched it yet, watch it now! Season 3 is now airing but season’s 1 and 2 are available to buy. It’s soooo worth it!

Oh and before I forget to mention it, it’s my birthday next Tuesday the 9th. Yep, I’m going to be 21. I don’t mind so much, but I’d rather be 17 loving life in college with no worries! I’m going on a surprise outing this weekend, my mum, dad, brother and boyfriend have arranged a weekend away somewhere and I have no idea where we’re going! All I know is that we’re all leaving super early Saturday morning! I’ll let you know what it is when I blog next! Exciting ey J.

Right before I ramble on anymore, I’m going to be off! Hope you all had a good Easter and ate an obscene amount of chocolate!
x

No comments:

Post a Comment